Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 10: A. Draw + Expalin how Enzymes function (using words, picutres, + graphs). + B.l What is catalase + why is it important?
September 30, 2013 at 3:40pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 10 results.
Sort by:

Kate Freeman
January 18, 2016 at 6:58pm

Parent: Kate explained the 6 steps of how a catabolic enzyme functions and showed me a drawing for each step. She displayed to me how an enzyme is like a PAC MAN after the shape change and described how the substrate binds to the active site. She also taught me that Catalase is an enzyme that breaks down hydrogen peroxide and shifts it from a dangerous component in our bodies to a safe item that can actually be utilized. Catalase speeds the rate of reactions as well.

Student: I taught my dad that there are 6 steps to the function of a catabolic pathway: 1) Enzyme and substrate must collide. 2) Substrate binds to the active site forming the enzyme-substrate complex. 3) Enzyme-substrate complex changes shape and stresses the substrate (some may break). 4) S becomes product and forms the enzyme product complex. 5) Enzyme changes shape again and product gets released. 6) Enzyme returns to it's original shape, it's natural conformation and then process repeats. I also explained that catalase is an enzyme that can break down substrate and enables the enzyme to function.

Adam Wulfing
January 20, 2016 at 7:42pm

Parent:  Catabolic Enzymes:  Substrate and Active site of an enzyme.  Substrate bonds, active site may either break or make a bond and resultant products are released.  B) Catalase:  An enzyme that undergoes manipulation by adding chemical elements

Student:  I taught my dad the basic steps of the catobolic pathway. From this i related these ideas to units we have had previously. This review allowed me to remember the steps and make connections to and from this important idea.

Marasia Calderon
January 25, 2016 at 12:37pm

Student: (I taught my dad about the catabolic pathway last night but he wrote down what he learned since he doesn't like typing) I'm not really sure why my dad chose this ETD but he learned a lot about how an catabolic enzyme binds to a substrate. I taught him that there are 6 steps to the catabolic pathway. I feel as it was helpful to use an analogy such as the lock and key where the enzyme acts as the lock and the substrate is the only key that can fit in that particular lock's hole (enzyme's active site.)

Parent: An enzyme is like a lock and the substrate is like the key. When they bind, there is a stress applied to the enzyme which is like turning the key. When the enzyme is stressed, it changes the shape or "denatures" it. When you take the key out or when the product is released, the enzyme returns to its original shape and active site it then open for new substrates to bind to it.

Jonathan Zosel
October 05, 2017 at 10:12pm

Student:

Parent: I learned first about what an enzyme is so I could further understand its function. Jonathan began with Step 1 of 6... an enzyme and a substrate must collide in the correct way. They can't just run into each other for fun. The active site of the enzyme is key and shape of the substrate and the active site always match but is can self correct if it is a tiny bit off. Step 2: The enzyme and the substrate bind together to create an enzyme substrate complex.He drew a very nice picture.Step 3: Shape shifting, the change of shape changes the active site shape which puts pressure on or breaks the bonds in the substrate. Again.. a nice picture. Step 4: The substrate turns into the product(s) creating an en Enzyme Product complex. It is rather simple, not really that complex. Step 5: The enzyme changes shape again, it really can't make up its mind, resulting in the expulsion of the product(s). Finally, Step 6: The enzyme returns to its natural form which allows it to repeat the whole process again with another substrate. After we discussed any questions, we moved on to catalase and its importance. It is an enzyme that cuts or breaks the substrate. It is importance because the enzyme takes polymers (good thing I had a primer on those before we started) and breaks them into monomers. 

Student: I taught about the six steps an enzyme takes to perform its task. I drew pictures to add connections to the topic, along with writing and explaining the steps. This made me understand the steps more because questions were asked and I had to think to answer them. I also explained catalase and drew pictures to help illustrate my explanation as well. 

Jacob Michaels
October 11, 2017 at 4:41pm

Parent:  I was taught about enzymes.  1. Enzyme and substrate collide.  2.  Substrate binds with active site to form an enzyme-substrate complex.  3.  Enzyme changes shape = stress substrate  4.  Substrate - products, forms enzyme product complex  5.  Enzyme changes shape again   6. Enzyme back to natural conformation (shape).   Enzyme back open for business.  Catalase is an an enzyme found in almost all living organisms.  It is responsible for decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen.

An interesting topic.

Student: I taught my dad about the six steps an enzyme goes through when interacting with a substrate. He wrote down all six steps as I went through and explained each one. I also included certain info about steps, for example about how the enzyme and substrate must collide in a certain way, but charges can assist with this. I also explained how Catalase is a crucial enzyme in our bodies and without it H2O2 would build up in our bodies, but Catalase metabolizes it into harmless H2O and O2. 

Brody Magbaleta
January 07, 2018 at 7:26pm

Parent:Today I learned about the six (6) steps of a catabolic enzymes. 1) Substrate, active site and enzyme collide. 2) The substrate combines with the active site which is called the enzyme substrate complex. 3) The enzyme changes shape which places stress on the substrate. 4) The substrate produces products which is called the enzyme product complex. 5) Enzyme changes shape again and releases product. 6) The enzyme changes back to it's natural state and can be reused again.

Catalase is enzymes in our bodies and is important because it breaks down substrate to release product and increases the rate of reactions.

Student: I taught my dad the 6 steps of how a catabolic enzymes functions. It was good to review this process because not only did I get a refresher of this process, but I was able to review important vocabulary such as an enzyme substrate complex that is formed in step 2 and an enzyme product complex which is formed in step 4. Also, I explained how catalase is important to our bodies because it breaks down H2O2 into H2O and O2 which helps detoxify our bodies. 

Ashlyn Bair
October 02, 2018 at 3:19pm

Parent- Ashlyn taught me how enzymes are unique in shape so that they bond with a specific substrate that fits precisely in their active site  They lock into the site and then the enzyme changes shape to manipulate the substrate. Once the enzyme has performed its function it releases its product(s) and then returns to its original shape to bond with another substrate. 

Student: I talked about the six steps a catabolical enzyme takes to complete the process of making and releasing products, and I also touched on the formation of products from plural substrates. I forgot what catalase was, so I figured that out. This helped me study the catalase concepts, so this worked out well. 

Erin Kim
October 07, 2018 at 7:50pm

Parent: erin taught us that enzymes have 6 steps to function which are 1. enzyme and substrate must collide 2. substrate bind to active site 3. enzyme changes shape 4. substrates turn into products 5. enzyme changes shape again to release product 6. enzyme changes back original shape. We also learned that a catalase is important because it breaks down harmful chemicals in our bodies into ones that are not harmful. 

Student: I taught my parents the 6 steps of how an enzyme functions by doing the same simulation we did in class with the tooth picks. I explained that I was the enzyme and the tooth picks are the substrates and that when I touch them they are "colliding" which is the first step. Then i grab it which is like when the substrate binds ti the active site (my fingers). My bend my fingers to break the toothpick which is like the third step when the enzyme changes shape, then I break it and the toothpick breaks in half becoming the products. My hands change shape again to release the tooth pick, and my hands go back to it's original form to break more. I also explained that catalases are important enzymes that break down H2O2 into H20 and O2 in our bodies so that we can live.  

Nicole Stan
January 15, 2019 at 5:11pm

Parent: Nicole explained the 6 steps of how a catabolic enzyme functions. They are: 1) enzyme and substrate collide 2) the substrate binds to the active site and form a enzyme-substrate complex 3) the enzyme shape stresses the substrate 4) substrate turns into products and forms an enzyme protein complex 5) the enzyme shape ages which releases products 6) The enzyme returns back to its normal shape. She drew out pictures of the enzyme as well to show where the active site is and how a substrate enters it. She also explained how competitive inhibitors shut down or slow down the process of a reaction. She taught us that a catalase is a substance in an enzyme that speeds up a chemical reaction and that is important for the human body to continue working.

Student: I taught my parents the 6 steps of how a catabolic enzyme functions and drew out how the substrate enters the enzyme and how the substrate has a specific shape that matches up to the active site of an enzyme. I also explained to them what competitive inhibitors are and how they can slow down or completely stop reactions because they “park” in the active site and get in the way. I explained that catalase is a substance that speeds up chemical reactions and it’s crucial for our body to function properly.

Sarah Kropelnicki
January 21, 2019 at 8:03pm

Parent: Today Sarah taught me how pH, concentration, and temperature affect the speeding up process of enzymes. I learned that as the enzyme concentration increases, the rate of catalysis increases also, and vise versa. Similarly, as temperature increases, rate of catalysis increases also. 

Student: I remembered everything this ETD taught so I was able to explain it well to my mom. As the concentration of enzymes increases, meaning that there are more enzymes to speed up the specific reactions. As the temperature increases, this causes molecules to move faster, and in part collide more often, so the rate of enzyme activity increases also, but, if temperature increase is too great, the enzyme will denature.