Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 11: A. How does enzyme concentration, Temperature, and pH affect catalytic processes? + B. Why do we refrigerate, cook, + pickle foods?
September 30, 2013 at 3:42pm

Replies

Displaying 1-5 of 5 results.
Sort by:

Adam Wulfing
January 20, 2016 at 7:53pm

Parent:  Adam says we don't have to do this one, but we're here so what the hey...  In order to create products, external influences can affect the reaction.  Concentration implies more starting ingredients.  Temperature implies more activity, to a point, too much activity can be damaging.  pH in the middle is fine but an extreme may damage the enzyme as a whole.  B:  This sets those external influences

Student: Enzymes can be heavily influenced by the outside environments for example there are optimal levels of PH and Temperature that it will operate most efficiency but any extreme can damage it. I believe that we refrigerate cook and pickle food in order to affect these processes in order to slow, break or affect these enzymes.

Alyssa Hajek
October 04, 2016 at 9:12pm

Parent: Was surprised to learn that enzymes react different in different temp ranges and ph concentrations.  I learned that when enzymes get too warm they denature or when too cold they slow down.  When an enzyme denatures it cannot function properly because its active site is changed.

Student: Enzymes have an ideal environment in which they thrive best.  Some enzymes work best in acidic environments, like  pepsin, and some work best in more basic environments, like lipase found in the small intestine.  They also work best in certain temperatures.  When it gets too hot, the enzymes start to denature and therefore cannot function correctly.  When it gets cold, the enzymes and molecules slow down so the rate of changing substrate to product is slowed.

Grace Dickerson
January 16, 2017 at 9:42pm

Parent: Grace taught me today the reason why we as humans refrigerating, pickling, and cooking foods. I always thought it was simply to keep mold and other bacteria from growing and making us sick, but after Grace explained this concept to me, it made a lot more sense. I learned about the structure of an enzyme and it's active site, and how substrates react with the active site. Altering the environment like changing the pH or the temperature can in turn alter the rate at which the substrates are colliding with the active site on the enzyme.

Student: I explained to my dad the reasons why we cook, pickle, and refrigerate food on a more fundemental level. I explained the role of enzymes in bacteria growth on food, and also how food is easier to digest after it is cooked. I also explained the effects of pH and temperature on enzymes and how denaturing the enzymes comes into play when it comes to preserving foods over long periods of time. Lower tempers mean less collisions which results in slower metabolic reactions.

Jacob Michaels
December 04, 2017 at 4:44pm

Parent- When enzyme concentration is high there will be more collisions, which means there will be a higher rate of breaking things down and vice versa when there is a lower concentration.  Both temperature and pH affect enzymes in similar ways.  If temperature and pH are too high, their active sites will become denatured, rendering them useless.  For example, catalase has an ideal temperature of 35 degrees celcius and an ideal pH of 7. We refrigerate, cook and pickle foods to slow down or alter enzymatic processes.

Student- I taught my dad about enzyme concentration, pH and temperature. Understanding enzyme concentration is easy because it is identical to the subject of chemical reactions/collisions from last year and enzyme temperature and pH are pretty simple because enzymes are proteins and if you subject them to uncomfortable conditions they will denature like cooked bacon. It was also interesting to learn why we refrigerate, cook and pickle foods.

Nicole Stan
January 19, 2019 at 10:14pm

Parent: Nicole taught me how the concentration, temperature and pH of enzymes affect the catalytic process. An increase Temperature and concentration both cause an increase in the rate of collisions. The ideal pH for a reaction to occur is 7 and the ideal temperature is 35°C. If the temperature and pH get extremely high the active site of the enzymes will become denatured. I also learned that we refrigerate, cook and pickle food to either denature enzymes Or to slow down enzyme reactions and I thought that we just cooked food to get rid of bacteria. I also learned that eating too much salty food can change the shape of your enzymes. 

Student: I taught my mom about how conc, temp and pH can affect catalytic processes. I summarized what an increase and decrease in conc does, what an increase and decrease in temp does and what an increase and decrease in pH does. I also told her the ideal pH and temperatures that a catalytic reaction occur at and how when a pH or temperature gets too high, the active site gets denatured. I also told her that we refrigerate, cook and pickle food to slow down or denature enzymes. This helped me review some of the things that can affect enzyme processes.