Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 17: Draw + Explain Your Predictions for your 4 Plates for the Bacterial Tranformation Lab. (Explain how the pGLO Lab Works)
October 17, 2013 at 3:12pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 14 results.
Sort by:

Victoria McDermott Hale
October 17, 2013 at 8:36pm

PARENT: An experiment was performed utilizing ecoli, food and antibiotics.  In the four different trials which focused on bacterial transformation. 

The first trial was E coli and food, which allowed the e coli to grow in a lawn type formation.  The second trial added antibiotic to the e coli and food. This second trail showed that the antibiotic would killed the e coli.  The third trial again included the e coli, food, antibiotic but it added pGLo to the trail.  In the third trial some of the bacteria formed colonies.  The bacterial that formed the colonies was resistant to the antibiotics.  In the fourth trial a sugar was added to the e coli, food, antibiotic and pGLo.  The sugar activated the e coli to glow under the UV lights, which meant the colonies had transformed into GMOs.

STUDENT: While teaching my mom about the lab that we did in the last few days i learned a better understanding of how the e coli changed when put into different environments.  Teaching her about how the amp changed the e coli and all about antibacterial was a really good way for me to gain understanding.    

Brett Babbel
October 22, 2013 at 9:37pm

Parent Response: That sugar (arabanose) is a huge factor that is important to the body. Finding through discussions that sugar is a big trigger to the body and cells in specific and functions. Always thought sugar caused bad things but in reality sugar is so important to the body. Amazed at how bacteria plays a huge role in our medical technology. 

Student Response: I learned better the importance of why the scientists use sugar to trigger the plasmid to be transcribed and better learned the importance or bacteria and how we use it in our medical technology.

Blake Wickline
December 07, 2013 at 7:08pm

Parent: I found it interesting how the plasmid was able to induce resistance to ampicillin and produce a glowing protein in the bacteria. 

Student: This helped me to understand the lab more completely. I was able to explain why only one glowed even though there were two petri dishes with bacteria containing the pGLO plasmid; this was due to the lack of the chemical which activated the protein pGLO coded for. 

Kevin Turek
December 30, 2013 at 9:08pm

Parent: My son told me that the experiment turned out how he expected, the ones with the plasmid put in glowed, while the ones without food or plasmid did not glow.

Student: My mother found it interesting that we can make bacteria glow. She also found it disturbing how we can make bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, but she knew a little bit about that already happening in nature.

Madison Boggan
November 22, 2014 at 3:34pm

Parent: It is cool that the students were able to work with antibiotic resistant bacteria in class however it freaks me out a little. Madison's predictions were correct and they make sense to me too. E coli can live if they just have food. E coli have no natural resistance to ampicillin so if they are not transformed to be resistant then they will not grow. Bacteria that have been transformed will still grow if ampicillin is present. 

Student: Going back over these predictions help me to understand that it is logical why we found out about bacteria what we did and why we should have gotten certain results. It is still crazy to me that we are able to change bacteria so much that they glow and resist antibiotics.

Mary Fuller
January 03, 2015 at 12:07pm

Student: There were two controls in the pGLO lab. One grew a lawn of bacteria and showed that e coli can live on LB. The other contained LB and Amp and no bacteria grew, showing that the E coli had no natural resistance to Amp. There were 2 experimental groups as well. The first contained LB, Amp and pGLO and the Amp selected only bacteria with the plasmid that we transformed. The other contained LB, Amp, Arabinose, and pGLO and showed the transformed bacteria survived and GFP glows so it got turned on. The whole point of this lab was to discover E coli’s resistance or lack thereof to Amp and whether or not transformed bacteria contained a plasmid that would resist the Amp.

Parent: It was interesting to hear about the bacterial transformation lab that Mary did. She explained the importance of the two control groups and also the purpose of the two experimental groups. It was also interesting to see that she was able to transform bacteria to make it glow.  

Delaney Tiernan
January 23, 2015 at 7:41pm

Student: In the pGLO experiment we used two control groups and two experimental groups. For the control groups, one was food and the other was food with poison. For the experimental groups, we used food, poison and pGLO in one, and food, poison, pGLO and the inducer. During this experiment, we were trying to see if we give the ecoli a certain mixture of food and pGLO, if they would survive and glow. It shows how they can adapt and transform.

Parent: This seemed like a fun experiment. We never did things like this when I was in school. It was really neat how they actually got the bacteria to glow. I could tell that Delaney really enjoyed this experiment by the way she was telling me about it.

Makaila Heifner
October 25, 2015 at 8:53pm

Student: I explained that we had to alter the bacteria to make them glow under a black light. We went over how the experiment had two control groups and how the bacteria had to have the LB, Amp, and Ara to be able to glow. I explained that the bacteria must have the Ara because it acts as a inducer to make the bacteria resistant to Amp. 

Parent: I thought it was interesting that the students could make GMOs especially after hearing about how bad they are. It's pretty cool that the bacteria glowed.

Amber Neathery- Period 3
October 28, 2015 at 9:36pm

Parent: Amber said that they did a lab experiment using ecoli with inserted plasmid for developing antibiotic resistance.  four petri dishes were used to test the affect of inserting gene into the ecoli plasmid that code for antibiotic resistance.   one of the petri dish actually glowed fluorescent yellow under uv light which shows a gene being turn on.   

Student: Sharing my predictions with my dad helped me remember that there were two control groups and two experimental groups. I recalled that the first control dish (LB, no pGLO) showed that the original E.coli can survive on luria broth. The second (LB, amp, no pGLO) revealed that the original E.coli cannot survive with the antibiotic ampicillin. The first experimental group (LB, amp, pGLO) showed that surviving E.coli must have ampicillin resistance, and the second experimental (LB, amp, pGLO, arabinose) showed that surviving E.coli was transformed and produced GFP. The gene to express this was turned on by the arabinose sugar. 

Kate Freeman
January 19, 2016 at 9:25pm

Parent: Kate explained the importance of control groups within experiments in order to promote validity. She also said that the petri dishes with the different combination test how inserting a gene into the E. coli plasmid affect antibiotic resistance and show bacterial transformation. Essentially, GMOs were being created by inserting genes into the plasmid and turning the genes on and off.

Student: I explained my predictions to my dad which helped me recall that there were two control groups that I used. The first control group was Luna broth with no pGLO which shows that the E.coli can use luna broth for food and survival. The second control group includes Luna broth and Amp poison and no pGLO. It shows that ampicillin kills and selects E. coli and that E. Coli is sensitive to Amp. Experimental group #1 was Luna broth, Amp, and pGLO which shows surviving bacteria are amp resistant and have no glow. Experimental group #2 was Luna broth, Amp, Ara, and pGLO Arabinoso which shows that it has the plasmid ampR which produces GFP and glows only with UV light.