Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 20: Genetics Test Day: What has been the focus of this units ETDs?
October 17, 2013 at 3:17pm

Replies

Displaying 1-6 of 6 results.
Sort by:

Kevin Turek
December 30, 2013 at 10:07pm

Parent: My son said that the ETD's of this unit has been about explaining how proteins get synthesized and how we can manipulate them.

Student: I told my mother how this unit has been a little bit about proteins and genetics. This can be enhanced by tools and modern genetics.

Kevin Turek
December 30, 2013 at 10:07pm

Parent: My son said that the ETD's of this unit has been about explaining how proteins get synthesized and how we can manipulate them.

Student: I told my mother how this unit has been a little bit about proteins and genetics. This can be enhanced by tools and modern genetics.

Madison Boggan
December 05, 2014 at 7:57pm

Parent: I hear that this units ETD's have been about making proteins and changing them. Another interesting fact from this time frame of ETD's, we can insert things, plasmids, into bacteria. Protein synthesis involves transcription and translation.

Student: This unit's ETD's were mostly about making proteins and altering them. I shared with my mom some facts that I learned that refreshed them in my brain as well. For example, HIV is a retrovirus so it goes from DNA back to RNA. 

Delaney Tiernan
January 23, 2015 at 10:09pm

Student: These ETDs were all about proteins. I told my parents the different types and how they are made to refresh their memories. They said they enjoyed learning about this unit along with me.

Parent: This unit, according to Delaney, is mainly about proteins, what they're made of and how they are made, along with the different types. This unit was interesting for me, it was fun getting to learn with Delaney.

Cayle Brown
November 05, 2015 at 9:51pm

Student: I told my dad that epigenomes were pretty much a big guilt trip, as they can pass down from generation to generation. If your parents smoked, or even your grandparents, they could have acetylated the gene of cancer from smoking. I shared with my dad this topic, and connected it to our family since he smokes, and so does my mom, even though she stopped during pregnancy.

Parent: Cayle basically explained to me that these genes can travel from generation to generation and even though my wife quit smoking while she was pregnant that she can still pass on the genes that were "turned on" that could cause cancer.

Anne Sweeney
January 04, 2016 at 10:06pm

Parent: Anne explained that the ETD's where focused on proteins and their different functions. I also learned that modern technology can expand protein use. It was interesting to learn about topic because I didn't realize how complicated proteins can be! 

Student: Reflecting back on this unit, I realized there was mostly ETDs on how genes affect certain functions in the body, how proteins can be utilized/ their different types and how modern technology can enhance our understating of how the processes of proteins work. Looking back, it was easier to remember what we learned in class because of all the examples and steps we had written down.