Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 23 A.Compare + Contrast Plant, ANimal , and Bacteria Cells. B. Why must cells stay small?
November 06, 2013 at 9:58am

Replies

Displaying 11-14 of 14 results.
Sort by:

Jacob Michaels
January 18, 2018 at 8:04pm

Parent- Plants are autotrophes.  They have vacuoles, chloroplasts, chlorophyll, and plasmodesmata which animals and bacteria do not have.  Animals are heterotrophes.  Their cells have lysosomes, vescicles, flagella, microvilli, gap junctions, desmosomes, and tight junctions which plants and bacteria do not have.  Bacteria can have no organelles.  They can have a nucleoid region, plasmids, pilli, and a capsule which animals and plants do not have.

Cells must stay small because if they become too big food cannot enter completely, waste cannot exit completely, and they become too big for diffusion.

Student- I taught my dad about the difference between animal, plant and bacteria cells. There are certain organelles that they all share, certain organelles that some of them share and some that are exclusive to only one of them. Reviewing which organelles belong to which was very beneficial to me in remembering which belongs where. I also told him why cells need to stay small because they cannot intake food and dispose of weight properly. Also for diffusion to work properly a cell needs to be small.

Nicole Stan
January 26, 2019 at 8:15pm

Parent: I learned about the differences between Plant, Animal and Bacteria cells. Nicole drew a Venn diagram for me and filled it out. She classified Plant and Animal Cells as being Eukaryotic and Bacteria as being Prokaryotic. Some differences between Plants and Animals are that Plant cells go through photosynthesis and have plasmodesmata for communication while animal cells have gap junctions for communication. Bacteria have plasmids and are single-celled, unlike eukaryotic cells which are multi-celled. Similarities between all of them are that they all have DNA+RNA. ribosomes, cytosol and plasma membranes. I didn't realize cells were so complex and had so many parts to them. I also learned that cells are small because of the surface area to volume ratio and because of osmosis and diffusion.

Student: I taught my mom about the differences in Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic cells. I went over things like how plant cells go through photosynthesis and that makes them producers and autotrophs. I also discussed the similarities between plant and animal cells and went over the RER, SER, the Golgi Apparatus, microfilaments+microtubules and what those do for the cells. It was very helpful to write all of these down again on a new diagram and to review them. We also talked about how the size of cells come from the surface area: volume ratio and how food goes into a cell and waste leaves the cell through osmosis and diffusion.

Sarah Kropelnicki
January 27, 2019 at 7:47pm

Parent: Sarah showed me her diagram that gave the differences and similarities between plants, animals, and bacteria, and explained why cells are so small. I didn't know that cells must be small so that they could diffuse properly, or that an increased surface area means a decreased volume and visa versa. I thought it was very interesting that the biggest cells belong to salamanders because they live in a solution so they are always wet, making diffusion easier for them. 

Student: The main things that I had forgotten from this ETD is that the equivalent of plasmodesmata in a plant is gap functions in animals. I also realized that I need a refresher on the differences between microtubules and microfilaments, and the differences between desmosomes and tight junctions in animals. 

Zach Holtz
November 17, 2019 at 11:17pm

Student:   It was good to review with my parent the similarities between animal, plant, and bacteria cells along with their own differences. I was able to teach my mom about how plants and animals are eukaryotic while bacteria are prokaryotic. I also shared that plants and animals are normally multicellular while bacteria are single cellular. I was also able to teach her that all them have ribosomes and DNA/RNA. And going over the high surface area to volume ratio was nice review to help me remember why cells are so small, it allows cells to have high exchange rates of materials with a cell's environment.

Parent:   It was nice to learn some similarities and differences between plant, animal and bacterial cells.  I was re-educated on flagella being present in both animal and bacterial cells; cell walls in both plant and bacterial cells.  I loved seeing the surface area vs. volume diagram in the textbook with all the little squares making up the same volume, but an exceptionally larger surface area.