Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 32: A. Sketch the bean lab graph and explain the lab's 4 major ideas. B. Trace the path of C, e-s, and E through the 4 stages of CR.
December 11, 2013 at 7:46am

Replies

Displaying 1-8 of 8 results.
Sort by:

Sophie Wulfing
December 11, 2013 at 10:18pm

Rate of respiratin follows this order from greatest to least:

Cricket,ambient germinating beans, cold germ. beans, non-germinating beans.  Non-germinating are still alive because they respirate.  Increasing T increases respiration because of increased molecular collisions.  Animals have higher rate of respiration because they have higher metabolism.  Rate of cellular respiration is the slope of the graph.  Carbon starts as Glucose.  Glycolisis turns into qty 2 3 carbon-chains.  Then a transition step where it becomes COA.  From there it enters the Krebs cycle.  From there carbon is released as CO2.  The reason why the carbon is so useful is because of lots of bonds and thus lots of electrons that can be handed off.  For electrons start as glucose, stripped off during Glycolisys by NaDH and transported directly to the electron transport chain, where it turns O2 into H2O.  For energy, it starts in Glucose as chemical energy (bonds), then is carried off by electron carriers, and transported to the ETC (e- transport chain) where ATP is synthesized.

Sophie- Because glycolysis is so simple and we spent a lot of time in class on oxidative phosphorylation, I think the citric acid cycle is the most confusing for me, especially the inputs and outputs. I think if I watch a video explaining this, I'll be able to get it down. As for the path of Electrons, Carbons, and Energy goes, I did need to refer to my notes a lot, but it all made sense and I could visualize what was happening, so I think all I need to do is go over it a few more times and I'll have those down.

Kevin Turek
January 01, 2014 at 12:15pm

Parent: My son explained through this experiment a cricket, germinating and non germinating beans were used to measure the rate of CO2. He showed that the germinating beans had a lot more CO2 then the non germinating as they were growing and needed to do this process a lot more. However this process was drastically slowed down when introduced to colder temperatures. Then with the cricket it had the most amount of CO2 because it is a animal which does the most cellular respiration. In cellular respiration glucose goes to the pyruvate then goes into the transition step which will turn this into Acetyl Co enzyme. Then enters the Krebs cycle. After this will go to the ETC where oxidative phosphorylation will happen.

Student: This was easy to explain to my mom. She had learned some of this. She knew about the Krebs cycle and glycolysis, but the ETC was new to her and it was different. I knew this cycle and I can explain it to myself in my head but it was difficult to teach it.

Kelli Vetter
January 04, 2014 at 9:04pm

Parent:  The cricket had the most CO2 production because it has the fastest rate of cellular respiration. The non-germinating bean produced the least amount of CO2 because the bean is not doing a lot of cellular respiration. The warm germinating bean produced more CO2 because there are more collisions of electrons which increases the rate of cellular respiration. I also learned that where the electrons go, the energy follows. By the end of cellular respiration, ATP is made. Kelli used a relatable analogy so that I could follow where the carbon, electrons, and energy go. It made a lot more sense with the analogy.

Student: My mom understood the graph, but she was not understanding the different parts of CR. So I thought that I could use an analogy to help her understand how the CR works. I told my mom that the glucose is a cow and the cow has 6 carbons. I told her that a butcher cuts the cow in half which leaves the parts with 3 carbons each. During the transition state, I said the butcher puts in chemicals to make the meat richer which now changes the 3 carbons to 2 carbons. I said that the oxygen (the electron accepter) were the consumers (human) and that the energy followed the electrons so that the consumers could have the highest amount of chemical energy in the two pieces of meat (pyruvate). The analogy was not entirely accurate, but it helped my mom understand what I was saying, and it helped me to think of new ways to explain cellular respiration.

Madison Boggan
December 02, 2014 at 5:33pm

Parent: I love rollercoasters. You always put your hands in the air and go as many times as you can. Madison used this as an analogy. Each rollercoaster car is a part of the 6 carbon glucose. As they get broken down, this is like the Wild Cat coaster because it is made of individual cars that can be separate just like the carbons in glucose are separated. Rollercoasters have different potential energy depending on where they are at and what their position is just like electrons do in the cellular respiration process. This was confusing but I still love rollercoasters.

As for the bean lab, Madison quizzed me on the order in which I thought did the most cellular respiration. This is a concept that I easily understood. Germinating beans break down more food to get more energy to grow. However, I learned that a cold human does more cellular respiration than a warm human.

Student: It was cool to see my mom already understand main ideas from the bean lab without me even explaining them to her. It helped reinforce to me that germinating beans do more cellular respiration than non-germinating beans (although they do some). My mom used the analogy that pregnant women eat more and need to eat more nutritious foods to get more energy to grow their baby. This is like a germinating bean needing more energy to grow.

My mom was confused by the steps for CR and the tracking of carbon, electrons and energy. My rollercoaster analogy wasn't perfect but it did help her understand that the form of energy and amount varies as the process continues like a rollercoaster goes up and down and that carbon starts out in a 6 carbon sugar like a rollercoaster starts out but can be broken up by individual cars. The electron carriers are like rollercoaster cars carrying humans and this concept made sense to her as well.

Amber Neathery, Period 3
January 03, 2016 at 11:17pm

Student: I started at the line with the lowest slope (slope = rate of metabolism) and worked my way up with the bean graph lines. First, I explained that non germinated beans still undergo cellular respiration because they are alive. Cold germinated beans have a lower metabolism than room temp germinated beans because when it is warmer, particles collide with greater frequency and thus cellular respiration is undergone more quickly. On the other hand, colder humans perform cell respiration at a higher rate than warm humans because in the cold, they need to produce more heat to stay alive. Reptiles, on the other hand, are more similar to plants in that a colder reptile has a lower metabolism than a warmer one. 

Moving on to the next question, I explained that, during cellular respiration, electrons start at glucose. They are next transferred to NAD+, which becomes NADH. They next travel down the electron transport chain and are accepted by oxygen, forming water. Carbon also starts in the form of glucose, but next take form in two pyruvates, which are converted to acetyl CoA during the transition step. Carbon is exhaled as carbon dioxide during the Krebs cycle because they are no longer needed. 

Parent: there was a lot of information to take in about electrons and carbon during cell respiration. what i recall is that carbon is breathed out during kreb cycle and electrons leave in water. also cold humans have the highest metabolism out of the group. this makes sense because when hiking in the snow, you need heat from inside of you to keep warm. 

Katarina Zosel
December 14, 2017 at 10:34pm

Older Sister:

Ay: German beans release more seeOtwo than non-german beans because they want to take over Europe quicker. They like to play cricket too but it's intense so they breathe a lot and need more trees to combat their seaO2 output. Plants have cellular sales reps, so there's a lot of good things about this lab that I can't think of clever ways to word them, nice job.  

Oebielle: CARBON step one work six to three, step two release sea oh two, step trois more see oh 2's, finally no more carbon! ELECTRONS step 1: more potential energy (these must've had coffee) 2: Piruvate NADH FADH2 3: electrons are working hard Fore: electrons are finally accepted by the water clan. ENERGY!!! electrons have a follower, potentially chemical, hey we've got some kinetic studies going now, since the hydrogens are concentrating they have more potential. ATP synaps, rotation, the little engine that could. 

Katarina: I tried to explain to her the bean lab by drawing out a picture of the graphs. I then explained the impact each of the factors had on the co2 output, which I explained was representative of cellular respiration rates. Then I explained how animals, specifically mammals, have the highest rates of co2 emissions because they must constantly move and keep themselves warm. Explaining the transfer of carbon through the stages was more simple as I drew a picture of going from 6 carbon glucose to 3 carbon pyruvate to 2 carbonic acids and finally all being released as CO2. For the electrons, I drew a simple picture of oxidative phosphorylation to help explain how the electrons moved from complex 1 to 3 to 4 and changed energy forms from chemical to kinetic to potential. Overall she had a strong grasp of the concepts although it might not be reflected in what she chose to write, sorry about the German joke.

Sarah Kropelnicki
January 27, 2019 at 8:36pm

Parent: Sarah showed me some of the most important points of cellular respiration. The slope of the graph gives the rate of cellular respiration, which is the rate of metabolism. She said it was also important to keep in mind that beans do cellular respiration as well. If you increase the temperature, than you increase the rate of cellular respiration. She also explained that the environment controls how fast or slow cellular respiration occurs. 

Student: I explained to my dad that if you increase the temperature, the rate of cellular respiration increases because the molecules are moving faster and colliding more often. Contrastingly, if you decrease the temperature of cellular respiration, than the molecules move slower, colliding less, and cellular respiration occurs slower. I gave him an example that someone in a freezing temperature breaths slower and less as the temperature goes down. 

Zach Holtz
December 08, 2019 at 9:18pm

Student:   It was good for me to explain the graph and the main points to my dad.  I told him about the bean lab in general and what we did with it and the purpose of it.  I then shared what the graph looked like and why each line was at those specific spots.  I then went on to explain the major components of the lab.  I shared with him what the slope meant, that plants perform CR, the temp is a factor in the rate of CR, what the difference is between animals and plants with CR, that insects are cold blooded and what that means, and what the difference is between cold blooded and warm blooded animals.  I then went and explained how electrons, carbon, and energy move through CR. I explained that electrons start at high energy and then take steps downward releasing energy in a controlled way.  Also that carbon starts in Glucose as a 6C molecule and works its way down towards becoming a 1C molecule, CO2.  Finally I shared that energy moves through the process of CR to form ATP.

Parent:   I found the results of the lab very interesting and mostly understandable.  I had not been aware that plants ever do cellular respiration.  The descriptions of carbon, electrons and energy were somewhat more difficult to understand.  But that is probably due to my unfamiliarity with the other participants of the reactions.