Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 33: A. Draw and Explain the complete steps of CR showing all inputs and outputs (use labeled arrows).
December 11, 2013 at 7:48am

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 13 results.
Sort by:

Sophie Wulfing
December 11, 2013 at 10:29pm

Glucose undergoes glycolisys which produces 2 ATPs, & produces NaDH which goes on to the e-transfer chain.  Two pyruvates go into the mitochondria which through the transition step becomes Actyl-COA.  This creates CO2, qty 1 per pyruvate, as well as 2 NaDh per pyruvate, Actyl-COA moves on to the Krebs which produces 8 NaDH, and 2 FADH2.  It also produces 2 CO2, and 2 ATP.  Then the NaDH moves to oxyadative phosphorilation.  Which produces 32-34 ATP & 1 H2O per NaDH.

Sophie- It was hard to explain this without showing a diagram. One thing i had to keep reminding myself on was which molecule was the one to move on to next step. For example, I would keep saying "it moves on to krebs cycle" and I would have to explain that it was the Acetyl COA that moved on. This part is hard to memorize if I can't visualize what is happening, so if I get a full understanding of each step, I can easily get the inputs and outputs.

Kevin Turek
January 01, 2014 at 12:42pm

Parent: Cellular respiration starts off with glycolysis. Then moves to the Krebs cycle. And then finishes with the ETC. Kevin told me that this was just one big equation. It's reactants are 2 NADH + 2 NDH + 8 NADH + 2 FADH2 = 2 ATP + CO2 + 2 CO2 + 2 ATP + H2O + 32-34 ATP.

Student: This was easy enough to explain to my mom. I had already described cellular respiration to my mom so she already understood it well enough. What I did this time was tell her how it was a huge equation. She thought we had already covered the equation. But it was more complicated then the one that I told her before. I said that it was a simplified version.

Madison Boggan
December 03, 2014 at 4:08pm

Parent: Cellular respiration is complex! There are three main steps (sort of 4): glycolysis, transition step, Krebs and oxidative phosphorylation. The outputs are 36-38 ATP, CO2, H20. O2 is an input which is why we inhale as well as 2 ATP to start the process. NADH and FADH2 are used to carry electrons. It helps to think of this process in 3 large clumps for the three steps. I enjoyed the raps Madison showed me too.

Student: Simplifying the process to explain it to my mom helped the process to be summarized in my brain too. Glycolysis: break sugar down. Krebs: make NADH. Ox Phos: produce ATP. Coming up with these three basic functions helped me to connect the inputs that were necessary and outputs that came about to my mom and it also helped me connect them as well.

Soleia Weisenburger
January 03, 2016 at 7:05pm

Parent: It helped when I made her explain it in terms of a bus station.  Otherwise it was a bunch of terms I did not understand.  Now, I am a little curious about what happens after the bus station (ATP I think).  She dumbed it down for me, which I appreciated.  I am really impressed what my kids knows and understands.  Now, if I could just get her to do her laundry...

Soleia Weisenburger
January 03, 2016 at 7:11pm

Student: Although I thought I understood this part really well it helped to break it down for my mom because I could make an analogy for it and teach her as well as deeper my own understanding. I knew it would be tough to teach her because it is a complex topic but I think overall I gave her a better understanding especially since at the beginning she didn't even know what an organelle was.

Amber Neathery
January 03, 2016 at 11:38pm

Student: Teaching my dad the steps of cell respiration really made it click for me. I started at glycolysis, in the cytosol. Here, glucose is broken down into two pyruvates and two NAD+ are reduced to two NADHs. I remembered that two ATPs are also needed during glycolysis as I taught my dad this. I moved on to the transition stage in the mitochondrial matrix, where the two pyruvates are converted to acetyl coA through 2 NAD+ and 2 coenzyme As. During the citric acid cycle, I explained, 2 acetyl coAs, 2 ATPs, 6 NAD+ and 2 FAD yield 2 ATP, 4 CO2, 6 NADH and 2 FADH2. Lastly, oxidative phosphorylation utilizes an electron transport chain along the cristae of the mitochondria to move electrons from 6 NADH and 2 FADH2 to ATP synthase, where chemiosmosis is undergone to produce 36-38 ATPs. 

Parent: amber simplified cell respiration to show how atp is made from glucose. i found it interesting that the process goes from nad to nadh often. and that all of this happens in the mitochondria and around. 

Alyssa Hajek
December 19, 2016 at 9:09pm

Student:  I taught my dad by drawing a mitochondria and showing him with arrows and drawings what the different steps of cellular respiration are.  I went over the five steps which are glycolysis, the transition step, the citric acid cycle, the electron transport chain, and chemiosmosis.  By going through and teaching my dad the different steps and the different outputs and inputs of each step I now better understand cellular respiration as a whole and what needs to happen for ATP to be produced.

Parent: Alyssa drew out the steps of Cellular Respiration to show how ATP was created. She was also able to explain the steps simply enough and was able to answer any questions that were asked about the process and how it works.

Joel Thompson
December 10, 2017 at 9:01pm

Parent: I learned about how our cells make energy. Mitochondria make the majority of ATP, and ATP is made by the four processes of cellular respiration: glycolysis, transition, Krebs cycle, & electron transport chain or oxidative phosphorylation. Joel made drawings and used colorful metaphors (rich and poor drivers pulling up to integral proteins to park or donate protons & electrons) to explain the process. I associated water vapor with respiration, and now I'll remember ATP.

Student: I taught my mom about cellular respiration and specifically how oxidative phosphorylation works and why it's called that. I went over how a 6-carbon sugar, such as glucose, goes through glycolysis (or sugar cut) creating two pyruvates to go through the transition step and Krebs cycle and eventually ending up in the mitochondrial matrix. To understand how the membranes worked I explained how membranes have a hydrophobic and hydrophilic layer to create a "flexible" and semi-permeable barrier. I then explained some simple concepts of intergral and periphery proteins. After creating a foundation for the ETC, I then explained the one to one ratio for protons, electrons, and ATP created. While teaching my mom about CR I also came up with a good analogy for why NADH and FADH2 can donate to particular protein pumps, that the NADH is rich and can afford nicer parking, but less children or protons, and FADH2 is poor and can only afford to park at the periphery protein, but has more children or protons. In addition this discussion reinforced my knowledge on topics such as diffusion, passive transport, charges, hydrophilic and hydrophobic areas, phospholipids, membranes, and just about everything involved in CR.  

Hitesh Boinpally
December 30, 2017 at 7:29pm

Dad: Hitesh explained really well all the steps of cellular respiration. Interesting to know that most cell have organelles. It was also interesting to know that glycolysis and Krebs cycle generates only 2 ATP each, while the electron transport chain generates 32-34 ATP.

Student: By explaining the process to my dad, it helped clarify the reason that the ETC is able to generate so much more ATP than the other two stages of Cellular Respiration, simply having a much more efficient source with the rest of cellular respiration slowly building to the ETC as both glycolysis and the krebs cycle lead to the creating of NADH or FADH2. It also bettered my understanding of the importance of Oxygen in the process of cellular respiration, as it acts as the final electron acceptor. I explained how the mitochondria has multiple membranes and where each step of cellular respiration takes place. Overall, talking to my dad about cellular respiration helped me clarify a couple of the aforementioned things for myself and extended his knowledge as well.

Jillian Berkenkotter
January 21, 2018 at 11:28am

Parent:Jillian did a great job at explaining cellular respiration.  I leaned the three steps of cellular respiration which are glycolysis, Kreb cycle and oxidative phosphorylation.  It was interesting to learn that 36 to 38 ATP's are produced. It was helpful when she used a diagram to draw out and clearly explain the steps of cellular respiration.

Student: Re-explaining the steps of Cellular Respiration to my parents helped me clearly understand all three stages of Cellular Respiration and the inputs and outputs from each stage. I used a diagram and went through each stage Glycolysis, KREB cycle and oxidative phosphorylation. Glycolysis the glucose is broken down into pyruvate and NADH is produced. KREB Cycle produces NADH and 2CO2 and during Oxidative phosphorylation it produces ATP and then chemiosmosis occurs to produce 36-38 ATP's.