Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 39 A. What are the main differences between mitosis + meiosis? B. Where would you find each occuring?
January 16, 2014 at 7:54am

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 18 results.
Sort by:

Sophie Wulfing
January 16, 2014 at 10:09pm

Mitosis is a parent cell w/ 2 sets of chromosomes (2n or diployd).  DNA splits making it 4n, then 2 sister chromatides, where 2n in each.  Then cell splits, splitting the chromatides, w/ 2n in each.  Purpose is to copy cells.  Meiosis (I) begins w/ germ cell (2n), then DNA replication w/ 4n becomes two homologous pairs.  there's a synaptic snuggle, genes exchange.  Cell splits into two sister chromatides (2n in each).  Meiosis II - sister chromatides split to maek 4 cells total (1n in each)

Where?  Mitosis; everywhere, to repair, grow or asexual reproduction.  Meiosis; in gonads for sexual reproduction

Sophie- It's still hard to distinguish between sister chromatids and homologous pairs off the top of my head, but it's easier to thing that becuase sisters are related, their DNA is the "same" and the DNA between two sister chromateds is the same. This occurs in both mitosis and meiosis. Homologs only appear in meiosis 1 when they're needed for a chaismata. 

Caroline Pedro
January 21, 2014 at 9:07pm

Gretchen: I learned that the main differences between between mitosis and meiosis is mitosis makes two exact copies of the parent cells with two chromosomes making it a full cell.  In Meiosis the parent cell makes four half cells (gametes) with only one chromosome in which each gamete has a different genetic code than the other gamete and parent cell.

I also learned that I would find mitosis occuring everywhere in your body like when your body needs to be repaired.  In contrast, Miosis occurs in ones gonads (ovaries and testes).

Caroline:

I learned the different locations where mitosis and meiosis occur. I wasn't really sure exactly where mitosis occured, but then I learned that the process occured everywhere in the body. Meiosis occurs only in the gonads because that's where the gametes are needed.  

Alchemy Malcom
January 23, 2014 at 7:50pm

Parent: I learned that process of Meiosis makes the reproductive cells, which are the sperm and the ova. The sperm and ova are half cells. There are two divisions called meiosis one and meiosis 2. Mitosis is the process of making all other cells that are not reproductive cells. These cells are whole cells and do not go though a second division.

Student: Teaching these two processes to my parents I found were a little difficult. It was easy to tell them the basis of both processes and how mitosis reproduces full cells that are not reproductive cells like bone, muscle, and nerve cells and how meiosis make the 1/2 cells of sperm and ova. It was hard though, to explain to them IPPMAT and Cytokinesis and the differences between the stages. This was difficult because it was hard to explain all the tedious details of each stage of each process. My parents had a surface level understanding already though, so that was very helpful to me.

Kevin Turek
January 25, 2014 at 9:01am

Parent: I learned that the biggest difference between mitosis and meiosis is that mitosis makes full cells that are exact copies of the parent cells. While meiosis makes four half cells. These haploids are either sperm or ova depending on the gender. These two haploids will eventually combine to become diploids. Mitosis makes somatic cells while meiosis makes sex cells.

Student: This concept I barely had to explain to my mom as she already knew it already. However she was unfamiliar with some of the terms like, diploid, and haploid. These were new to her. But it was pretty simple to explain that haploid just meant half cells.

Selena Clem
January 27, 2014 at 8:52pm

Parent: Mitosis is used to make two exact copies of a parent cell while Meiosis is used to make half cells (haploids) that are gametes which can be fused to make complete zygotes. Meiosis only occurs in germ cells found in male and female gonads which make sperm and eggs, respectively.

Student: Mitosis makes somatic cells that are exact copies of their parent cells, this process is used for growth and repair. Meiosis occurs in germ cells, which after 2 divisions creates 4 haploid gamete cells for reproductive purposes. Meiosis occurs in the gonads only, testes in males produce sperm cells and ovaries in females produce the ova (egg).

Jillian Collins
February 09, 2014 at 11:38am

Parent: I learned that the process of Mitosis is the process of making two exact daughter cells from an original somatic cell while Meiosis is the process of creating four haploid cells from an original germ cell. In addition, Mitosis only goes through one stage of division while Meiosis goes through two stages, Meiosis I and Meiosis II. The most important thing I learned however is that during Meiosis the homologous pairs cross over which results in genetic variation among populations.

Student: By discussing about the basic differences between Mitosis and Meiosis this helped me realize where the different places of these processes occur. Meiosis is found in gonads while Mitosis occurs anywhere that needs repair. It also helped me refer back to IPPMAT Cytokinesis... nice cleavage.

Madison Boggan
December 20, 2014 at 12:49pm

Parent: Mitosis takes one full cell and makes two, full, exact copies. Meiosis takes one full cell and creates four, non identical half cells. Due to the different goals in each process, there are different steps. For example, mitosis only splits the sisters (sister chromatids) but meiosis splits the homies (homologs) and the sisters. Meiosis only replicates the DNA once but splits twice so in the end, the daughter cell's are haploid but they are diploid in mitosis because it replicates the DNA once and splits once. Mitosis occurs in body cells and meiosis occurs in germ cells. 

Student: Teaching my mom about mitosis and meiosis solidified the differences of their goals for me. Mitosis: make two identical daughter cells (replicated DNA once, split sisters once). Meiosis: make four different daughter cells (replicate DNA once, split homologs then split sisters). I'm now wondering the details of how meiosis / genetics plays into the similarities / differences of identical and fraternal twins. 

Lara Grether
January 14, 2015 at 8:15pm

Parent: Lara had previously talked to me about mitosis.  I learned that meosis is where the cell goes from one full cell to four 1/2 cells. It was very confusing to me at first, but she was very patient and took the time to draw a diagram that explained it a little better. I didn't understand where the cells came from in the first place. She explained that mitosis occurs in non gamete cells, but that meiosis occurs in the gonads. She also explained that every cell I have has some of my mom and some of my dad. She drew a picture to show me how it goes from a 2n cell to a 4n cell, to two  2n cells to four n cells. But in mitosis, it only goes from a 2n to a 4n to two identical 2n cells. Lara is very patient in trying to explain to her scientically challenged mom.

Lara:Although It was very difficult at first, my mom stumped me a few times with her questions. In order to make it simpler, I did draw a diagram and although I sticked to the basics and the general idea of crossing over, in my head, I kept saying to myself, "First you split the homies, then the sisters" and this was only after synaptic snuggling which increases genetic variation. My mom understood most of what I said about homologs--and I did try to simplify it down. It was really nice for me to review each process in detail.

Lauren Masters
January 10, 2016 at 4:52pm

Parent:

Student: mitosis vs meiosis. Mitosis occurs through out the body while meiosis only occurs with sex cells (germ cells). Mitosis involves a cell where the parent cell has two sister chromatids. This cell divides after the chromatids line up vertically and results in two full cells. Meiosis involves a cell where the parent cell has homologous pairs (two identical sister pairs). These "homies" line up horizontally then split into two full cells which have crossovers at the chiasma. These cells then split again forming four half cells that are all different due to the cross overs.

Student: I explained the processes of mitosis and meiosis to my mom. She wanted to know why the 2 full cells that resulted in mitosis were different from the 2 cells at the end of meiosis 1. I told her that they were different because in meiosis we have synapsis and crossing over at the chiasma. This is also why all the 4 half cells are different. She understood that mitosis happens everywhere from the previous ETD and that meiosis happens only in germ cells.

Darci Kudrna
January 10, 2016 at 9:11pm

Parent:  Darci tried to explain to me the difference between Mitosis and Meiosis.  My basic understanding is that Mitosis is dividing one cell into 2 and Meiosis is dividing 1 cells into 4 half cells.  I understand that Meiosis a reproductive process and takes the traits of two different cells and combines them in an effort together to create something new.  She showed me her drawings that explained how these two cells combine and then break apart in a different way so that they are completely new.   

Darci: It was hard to explain this to my mom since she had no basic understanding of meiosis, so I had to explain the basic aspects of meiosis and what it does as well as the deeper things so that I could get a better understanding on it. It was really helpful to explain it with my notes and use physical things to help explain it and be able to show her what happens instead of just trying to explain the process. I think I have a good understanding of the subject but it was really helpful to go more into specifics and force myself to simplify them down so I could get a better understanding and explain it to my mom.