Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 4: A. What is the difference between Kinesis + Taxis? + B. What doe sit take to write a cquality conclusion for the survival in the coot study?
September 30, 2013 at 3:32pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 19 results.
Sort by:

Benjamin Niesner
October 13, 2015 at 10:14pm

Student: I showed my Dad the differences between  Kinesis and Taxis. I showed the analogies for both. 

Parent:  Benjamin explained to me the 2 types of movement. The first was kinesis, which is triggered by sign stimuli such as :cold, fear,sickness or anger. The second type was Taxis , which is triggered by directional movement towards or away from a stimuli such as running away from T-Rex or running toward T-rex. 

Calista Moore
November 02, 2015 at 5:37pm

Parent:

Calista talked about Kinesis versus Taxis, explaining that Kinesis is changing how they move in response to stimuli, whereas Taxis is moving toward or away from a stimuli.  She also told me about the coot study, and I found the resulting conclusion that the brightly colored birds had a higher survival rate very interesting.  

Student:

I went more in depth about the specific parts of a conclusion and why they are necessary for the reader to understand the experiment's results. I came up with more examples of kinesis and taxis to illustrate how they are different.

Lauren Masters
November 25, 2015 at 12:03pm

Parent: I had never heard of those terms before although kinesis sounds like kinetic which involves movement. This made me ask her if electrons and protons have positive and negative taxis.

Student: I showed my mom examples of kinesis and taxis to help show her the difference between the two. She would ask me questions to help understand the concepts and I would answer and explain them to her.

Alex Gibbs
January 03, 2016 at 12:39pm

Parent: Kinesis is movement without direction as oppose to taxis which is movement in a direction towards or away from something, rather like hailing a taxi the taxi would come towards you.  That is how I am going to remember that.

Student: First I defined what Kinesis and Taxis is, and then I described the differences by giving examples and showing my drawings. She asked about the prefix kin- and I explained that it meant movement.

Kate Freeman
January 09, 2016 at 10:48am

Parent: I learned that Kinesis is movement or activity increase, and that Taxis is directed movement toward or away from stimuli.  I was shown pictures and told examples that contrasted these concepts. Then I was shown the information needed to write a quality conclusion based on data comparison. 

Student: I first explained to my dad the definitions of kinesis and taxis by stating the definition then further explaining the two ideas with examples such as shivering in the snow (kinesis) and running from a larger animal (taxis). We then went over the components needed to write a quality, ap level conclusion. It was helpful to review definitions that may be on the ap test and also remember how to write conclusions for labs coming up.

Anne Sweeney
January 11, 2016 at 10:33pm

Parent: Anne explained the differences between kinesis and taxis. Kinesis is a random (non-directional) movement in response to a stimulus while taxis is a directional movement towards or away a stimulus.The analogies she gave helped me better understand their meaning. The conclusion expectation outline makes it easier to write future conclusions for labs.

Student: I explained Kinesis and Taxis by telling my mom examples of the two. For example, kinesis is like a bunny close to a fire and  in response starts to move everywhere and taxis is like a line of ants knowing what direction they should be going in response to any stimulus. Explaining a quality conclusion was easy since she had seen me write several in the past and I focused on the new expectations we are now suppose to have.

Adam Wulfing
January 18, 2016 at 8:09pm

Parent:  Kinisis is random movement or activity, whereas taxis is a direct movement towards or away from something, as in towards light because it knows light would mean heat.

Student: It was good to review these concepts such as kinesis(movement without direction) or taxis(movement for a purpose) so i can continue to remember them and use them in the future.

Jaden Rayl
December 29, 2016 at 4:25pm

Parent: From previous understanding I knew that kinesis was related to movement however I found it interesting that it was a instinctual response! The difference between kinesis and taxis is that taxis is a more coordinated response to a stimuli, whereas a kinesis is a rather small movement. 

Student: I talked about stimuli and the two types of responses there are to them, taxis and kinesis. I used examples pertaining to the beta fish lab and the types of behaviors that we observed. I used the example of gills flaring up as kinesis and how its a rather small and instinctual response. For taxi I used the example of aggressiveness towards something red and how it moved towards it. 

Grace Dickerson
January 09, 2017 at 5:22pm

Parent: Grace explained to me the terms of Kinesis and Taxis and the difference between the two as is relates to the observation of living organisms. Kinesis is movement (usually stimulated by an outside source) and taxis is movement with a certain direction. Positive and Negative Taxis can be ised to describe the direction that the organism is stimulated to move (towards or away). Grace also desctibed the coot study and the brightly colored feathers that were involved in different rates of baby coot survival. very interesting!

Student: I taught my dad about the difference between taxis and kinesis and their importance in describing the movements and behaviors of living organisms. I also described the coot study and the different elements that went into my conclusion about that study.

Brody Magbaleta
October 17, 2017 at 9:01pm

Parent: Today I learned about Kinesis and Taxis. Kinesis is movement triggered by increased activity such as an animal who is cold and angry. Taxis is more directional movement where movement towards an object is positive and movement away is negative. An example of this would be a person chasing a dog (positive movement) and the dog running away (negative movement). Kinesis and Taxis are a related behavior.

Student: I taught my dad about the difference between kinesis and taxis. I told him the definition of each, provided him an example, and told him how it is important in regards to animal behavior and how animals act the way they do in certain situations.