Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 50 A. Give and explain the variable of the Hardy-Wienberg Equation. B. What is the HW Equation used for?
February 26, 2014 at 11:32am

Replies

Displaying 1-4 of 4 results.
Sort by:

Madison Boggan
February 03, 2015 at 6:47pm

Parent: Madison tried to expand on my little knowledge of genetics and told me that there are three types of gene combos (homozygous dominant / recessive or heterozygous). She told me that homozygous and heterozygous are like wearing glasses. Everyone else can see the glasses but they cannot see if the glasses are just clear or if they have a prescription. On the other homozygous recessive is obvious in the way it looks and it's genetic code because this is like not wearing any glasses: clearly seen and not hard to figure out. That being said, when using the Hardy-Weinberg equation, we start with the homozygous recessive, no glasses. 

Student: This was a very hard subject to explain to someone who knows little about genetics but what I hope I was able to get across is the same thing that was really cemented in my mind through this: When using this equation, you have to start with what you know for sure. There is only one way to be homozygous recessive (q squared) so this is usually the key to solving problems like this. 

Amber Neathery
February 22, 2016 at 7:28pm

Student: I taught my dad the elements of a Hardy-Weinberg equation: p represents the frequency of the dominant allele and q represents that of the recessive allele. p^2 is used to express the frequency of the homozygous dominant genotype, q^2 represents that of the homozygous recessive genotype, and 2pq is the frequency of the heterozygous genotype. To solve a Hardy-Weinberg equation, find q^2 and use that to calculate q. Use the equation p+q=1 to solve for p, and then use the equation p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1 to solve for what you are asked to find. Explaining the components of the equation and how to use it really helped me understand genomic and allelic frequencies.

Parent: hardy wineberg equations measure freqencies. use p and q to calculate how common an allele is and p^2 and q^2 for genotype. you always find q first. amber drew a picture that showed why p plus q always equals one.

Jacob Michaels
March 21, 2018 at 6:36pm

Parent- The Hardy- Weinberg equation is used to examine gene frequencies.  The equation for HW problems is p^2 + 2pq + q^2 =1. 2pq is the frequency of the heterozygous genotype.  p^2 represents the frequency of the homozygous dominant genotype.  q^2 represents the homozyous recessive genotype. When solving HW problems always find q first.

Student- I taught my dad about the Hardy-Weinberg equation and all of its parts. Each variable in the equation represents a frequency of certain alleles and knowing which letter represents which is crucial so breaking down the equation with my dad was very helpful.

Zach Holtz
February 11, 2020 at 10:15pm

Student:   It was nice to go over Hardy Weinberg before the test.  I was able to teach my mom about p2+2pq+q2=1 and p+q=1.  p2 represents the percentage of homozygous dominates in a population.  2pq is the percentage of heterozygotes in a population and p2 is the percent of homozygous recessive in a population.  p represents the frequency of the dominant allele while q is the frequency of the recessive allele.  One can use these equations to figure out if a population is evolving or is at HW equilibrium.  They know this by seeing if the gene frequency changes over generations.

Parent:   I liked seeing the math formulas (part 1 & 2) in determining equilibrium state and allele frequencies.  Depending on if the gene frequencies are changing throughout generations you can tell whether the population is evolving or at Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.