Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 58 A. What are the different modes by which organisms obatin Energy + Carbon?
February 26, 2014 at 11:43am

Replies

Displaying 1-3 of 3 results.
Sort by:

Sophie Wulfing
April 12, 2014 at 10:00pm

Photo-autotrophs, get their energy from light & their carbon from air (CO2) - algae, plants, and cyano-bacteria. photoheterotrophs get their energy from light & carbon from organic compounds - Rhoda-bacteria.  Chemo-autotrophs - get their energy from in organic compounds, aka rocks (volcanoes) and get their carbon from the atmosphere.  Exmples are prokaryotes, archae, sulfabbus (these live on the edge of active volcanoes).  . Chemo-heterotrophs - get energy from organic compounds  - Animals fungi, protists.  

Sophie

I forgot to talk about the process of endosymbiosis, where a porkaryote was engulfed by a eukaryote early in our evolutionary history. Secondary symbiosis was when our eukaryotic cells engulfed another eukaryotic cell. Because of this, we have mitochondria and plants have chloroplasts.

Madison Boggan
March 10, 2015 at 8:03pm

Parent: Organisms can get their energy and carbon in 4 ways: the options for energy is either light (autotroph) or organic compounds. The options for carbon is either light or chemicals (organic compounds). Then, there can be either of the 4 combinations of these. Humans for example are "chemoheterotrophs" because we get all of those things from organic compounds. 

Also, protists are diverse because of endosymbiosis.

Student: I compared all the different ways of getting carbon and energy to different stores. Each store offers different products that work differently for different people, however, they all achieve the same goal. Whether Target, Fredmeyer, Walgreens, Safeway sunscreen works best for a certain person: they all protect from the sun. Whether you get your energy from light or organic compounds, either way it gives you energy. This seemed to help my mom understand the relationship between all the combinations in the sense that each organism is different and has different needs, like picky humans. 

Amber Neathery
March 07, 2016 at 9:16pm

Student: I first explained to my dad that endosymbiosis is, simply put, a prokaryote engulfed by a eukaryote. An example of this is a cyanobacteria being engulfed by green algae. Secondary endosymbiosis occurs when that eukaryotic cell is engulfed by another eukaryotic cell, creating a cell that contains organelles within organelles. Human cells evolved mitochondria through this process, which explains why they have their own DNA. Explaining the concept of endosymbiosis helped me make this connection. Next, I talked about the different ways that organism obtain energy and carbon. Simply put:

1. Photo-autotrophs= [Light] + [Carbon Dioxide]

2. Photoheterotrophs= [Light] + [Organic Compound]

3. Chemo-autotroph= [Inorganic Compound] + [Carbon Dioxide]

4. Chemoheterotroph= [Organic Compound] + [Organic Compound]

Parent: endosymbiosis is when an organism consumes another. led to mitochondria in humans. amber explained the different ways that things get energy. what i got from the lesson is that they often use light.