Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 6: A. Draw + Describe the 5 Types of Bonds(Give Examples) + B. What is the "Secret" of Life?
September 30, 2013 at 3:35pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 19 results.
Sort by:

Peter Seely
September 16, 2015 at 9:23pm

Parent: Peter explained Pro-Points (acting professionally and actively participating in the learning process) and GQs (Great Questions=typically Why?, How?).  Also explained the 8 Major Themes of Biology-"SSWEBBEG":  science, society, web, evolution, building blocks, balance, energy, genes.

Student: I told my mom about how GQs are "Great Questions", very often starting with "Why" or "How". I also explained how Pro-Points worked, and how the criteria for receiving such included participation, assignment completion, respect, no tardies, high test scores, and asking GQs. Additionally, I explained the 8 Themes of Biology: Science, Society, Web, Evolution, Building Blocks, Balance, Energy, and Genes. All go into the acronym SS WEBBEG.

Peter Seely
September 16, 2015 at 9:28pm

Hello Mr. Neil,

Sorry about that last reply. It was accidentally placed on the "ETD #6" page rather than the "ETD #2" page. If it could somehow be moved to the "ETD #2" page, that would be great.

Thanks,

Peter Seely

Period 2

Soleia Weisenburger
October 05, 2015 at 9:23pm

Parent:  i learned about bonds.  I didn't know much about them before and I got confused, so she drew me pictures to help me understand and how the molecules bond.  The stuff about electonegativity was interesting, but I am not sure I fully understood it.  I am glad I won't be tested on it.

Student: This was harder to teach because its not a concept as readily known but it helped to have it be something I lnew from chemistry as well as bio and because she was confused about how the molecules make bonds we went over electronegativity and the periodic table as well as valence electrons and how an atom is structured. It helped me learn what I really know and what would be better to review once again.

Calista Moore
November 02, 2015 at 6:30pm

Parent:

Calista taught me about the 5 types of bonds, and how they differ as well as how strong they are.  She provided examples for the types of bonds, such as how ice is an example of a hydrogen bond.  She explained that ice expands because the hydrogen bonds make a crystal lattice, keeping all molecules at arms length from one another.  I found this very interesting since it is quite tangible and visible.  She provided salt as an example of ionic bond, which is between a metal and a non-metal.  She explained that the non-metal stole the valence electrons, which makes the bond easy to break in water.  This is why it dissociates in water, because water is polar.

Student:

Explaining different types of bonds was more difficult than I expected because it is complicated. I explained valence electrons and electronegativity to explain each type of bond and why they were relatively stronger/weaker compared to the other types. I also explained how ionization energy is why noble gases don't typically bond with other atoms. It helped me understand how the electrons are the main part to each type of bond, even though in hydrogen bonds and van der waals interactions there are no electrons exchanged. Then, I used the acronym HONC PSS to explain the most important elements to life and how the elements are in order by how many bonds each can make.

Lauren Masters
November 25, 2015 at 12:22pm

Parent: I used to know this stuff when I was in high school. I remember learning this but have forgotten about the types of bonds. Lauren explained the types of bonds to me.

Student: I showed her all the types of bonds with examples to help her understand. She didn't remember much about bonds from high school. She did understand HONCPSS because those are the most important elements for life.

Alex Gibbs
January 03, 2016 at 1:46pm

Parent: The five kinds of chemical bonds. From strongest to weakest: the covalent bond is where two chemicals share electrons, the polar covalent is a bond where electrons are exchanged but not evenly, the ionic bond is where one chemical steals electrons from another chemical that has an extra electron, the hydrogen bond is a comparatively loose bond that involves hydrogen and is possible because hydrogen is such a simple element that it is often positively charged so it attracts a negative charge, the Van der Waals bond is the weakest bond and only temporarily happens due to slight attraction between elements or compounds of different charges. The secret of life are the most important elements in life, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Phosphorus Sulfur and Sulfur. There are two sulfurs because they can both give and take electrons.

Student: I first explained the five types of bonds (Covalent, Polar, Ionic, Hydrogen, Van der Waals) from strongest to weakest, and then what made them stronger or weaker. Then I told her about HONC PSS. She asked why sulfur was in there twice and I said that it was because sulfur can bond two different ways due to its number of electrons.

Makaila Heifner
January 05, 2016 at 10:33am

Parent: Makaila went over the different types of bonds and explained the charges/strengths of each bond. I thought the example of the Van der Waals bond with the gecko was interesting, Makaila explained that since these bonds are found in the gecko's skin it allows them to "stick" to the ceiling; I had always thought they just had a sticky substance on their feet, but I wouldn't have thought that they could stick to walls because of a certain type of bond. Makaila also went on to explain that the "Secret of Life" was HONCPSS and how that effected all life on earth.

Student: I went over the 5 kinds of bonds, we went over their charges, structure, and various examples of each bond. I had to go back to my notes to remember why each one was important. I think my stepdad liked learning about HONCPSS a little bit more than the bonds because it was a bit easier to relate to. I found reviewing the bonds and HONCPSS to be helpful and a good refresher to some ideas I may have forgot. 

Kate Freeman
January 13, 2016 at 10:10pm

Parent: Today I learned about Covalent- C2, Polar Covalent- OH, Ionic- O2, Hydrogen-H2O, and Vander Waal bonds- Gecko feet. I learned about each bond's level of strength and was provided with an example for each to improve my understanding. We went over HONCPSS which are all the components necessary for life. Kate explained that there are 2 S's because different Sulfurs can make either 6 or 2 covalent bonds depending on the specific type. I was also taught that HONCPSS was arranged in this order from the lowest to highest number of covalent bonds that can be made from each component. 

Student:I taught my dad the 5 types of bonds and each of their strengths. Covalent bonds are the strongest and share electrons equally. Polar Covalent bonds are the second strongest and share electrons unequally. Ionic bonds come next in strength and electrons are stolen. Hydrogen bonds vary in strength and are bonds between Hydrogen and different charges. The weakest bond is Vander Waals which is an attraction between temporary dipoles. . I then explained the 6 secrets to life (HONCPSS) Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Phosphate, and 2 S's for Sulfur. It was helpful to go over the bond types and recall specific examples that had been somewhat forgotten over time.

Jaden Rayl
December 29, 2016 at 4:45pm

Parent: I learned about the 5 types of bonds and how they are all different and what makes each type special and the purposes they serve. The most interesting bond I learned about was Van Der Waals and how they help Geckos climb. We then talked about "the secret of life" HONCPSS and how these elements are the most important to life. It was interesting to hear that Sulfur had two different types of bonds.

Student: For the first part I listed all of the typed of bonds in order of the strongest bond (Covalent) to the weakest bond (Van Der Waals). I gave examples of all types of the bonds and how they work and serve to help life. This was a nice review for both classes, and helped me keep the types of bonds in order. I then moved onto the "secret of life" and important chemicals which are (Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Phosphorous, and Sulfur. I explained that this was arranged in the order of the amount of bond that can be created.  

Hannah Molnar
January 02, 2017 at 6:36pm

Parent: Hannah shared and explained the 5 types of bonds, and their relative strength or stability, from the Covalent bond, in which two elements share electrons in an equal and stable arrangement, through other less stable bonds, such as the Polar Covalent bonds, where electrons are shared unequally and the Ionic bond, where one element takes an electron from a negatively charged element (i.e. Chlorine taking Sodium's extra electron as in salt), to the Hydrogen and Van Der Waal bonds, which are progressively less table.  The Van Der Waal bond is temporary, and I learned that the Gecko uses it to stick itself temporarily to steep and even upside down surfaces.

I also learned about the key elements that are responsible for organic life: Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Phosphorus and Sulfur.  Hannah shared that 96% of all living things is made up of Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen and Carbon.

Student: It was helpful for me to go over these bonds again to remember specifically why they are strong or weak. We talked about the equal sharing of electrons in covalent bonding and how it makes it strongest and unequal sharing in polar covalent bonding makes it the second strongest bond, and ionic the third strongest because it steals electrons instead of sharing. Remembering the gecko helps me to remember Van der Waals because it's a real life application. We also talked about the importance of HONCPSS to all living things and their ability to make bonds