Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 60: A. Why are crustaceans and insects thought to be closely related? B, What 4 characteristics are seen in all chordates and what is the function of each?
March 15, 2013 at 3:35pm

Replies

Displaying 1-5 of 5 results.
Sort by:

Courtney S.
March 26, 2013 at 7:10pm

Courtney did a good job of explaining the content but i did not find it unusual that the two were related because of the exoskeleton. what i found interesting was what makes them different. It is really interesting, and i did not realize, that during the embryonic stages humans have gill like structures. ------ My father was fairly easy to teach about the crustaceans and insects. The second question however I did look up a few things online because he had questions I was not sure about giving me a greater understanding for the topic.

Adilah M.
May 12, 2013 at 6:55pm

Adilah told me about how crustaceans and insects are related and corroborating evidence. She also told me about traits found in all chordates and their functions. I already knew that crustaceans and insects were related, however, i did not know anything about the characteristics of chordates. ------------------------------------------------------- I told my mom about how crustaceans and insects are relates. I also told her about the common characteristics of all chordates and their functions.She found our discussion about the characteristics of chordates particularly interesting. By discussing this with her it helped me remember the things we learned in class as well as develop a deeper understanding of them by answering her questions.

Madison Boggan
March 22, 2015 at 3:18pm

Parent: Maddie told me that echinoderms and chordates are thought to be closely related because of how they develop. They are both deuterostomes which means their anus develops before their mouth. Because of this difference from others, they must be more closely related. Also, DNA sequences have confirmed this idea. 

Student: I told my mom that the protostomes vs. deuterostomes are like two different lines of people. One line does one thing first while the other line does something else first then they switch. They each end up in the same place but went in a different order. Further, the people in one line are more closely related to each other than with the other line because they do things in the same way. 

Madison Boggan
March 24, 2015 at 6:16pm

Parent: Crustaceans and insects are thought to be closely related because of several characteristics that they share. I thought it was interesting to hear more about an open circulatory system which they both have which means that their blood is pumped by a heart into sinuses near organs instead of through vessels. We are wondering how our bodies would function if we had open circulatory systems (and could survive with that). How would our blood clot? 

Student: My mom was interested in the circulatory system and how that tied crustaceans and insects together. I told her that the fact that they both have an open system shows relatedness as well as many other traits. It was interesting to ponder the idea of what a human body would be like if it was possible to have an open circulatory system and change nothing else about the body. We discussed what we thought would be different about the person and how they would function if this was a possibility.  

Zach Holtz
March 12, 2020 at 11:20pm

Student:   Crustaceans and insects are way closer related than I thought they would be.  They are both invertebrates, have exoskeletons, arthropods, have compound eyes and antenna, ventral nerve cord, conduct gas exchange, open circulatory system, remove nitrogenous waste, and have eggs and sperm.

Parent:   It is weird to think about how closely related ants and crabs are.  The fact that they only have a few differences such as one is a decapod while the other is a hexapod, one has gills while the other has balloons, and while one has external fertilization and the other does internal.