Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 64: A. What are 7 key digestive enzymes that you use to attack a pizza? Where are they produced, used, and what is their function?
March 28, 2013 at 8:59am

Replies

Displaying 1-4 of 4 results.
Sort by:

Adilah M
June 04, 2013 at 7:54pm

Adilah told me about the seven key digestive enzymes and their specifications. I had never heard of most of these enzymes. The only one I had ever heard of was amylase, the enzyme used for carbohydrate digestion. I found the topic very interesting. I had some questions, which Adilah tried very hard to answer. ------------------------------------------------ I taught my mom about the 7 key digestive enzymes that you use to attack a pizza, where they are produces, used and their functions. The topic was new to her. She didn't know very much about digestive enzymes before. She had some questions. One was that if these digestive enzymes had any relation to digestive enzyme supplements that are sold for dietary purposes. I didn't know the answer to this question however after some research I did discover that these supplements did contain many of the same enzymes including lipase, protease, amylase and cellulase. These enzymes are derived from plants. These are some new things I learned.

Madison Boggan
April 08, 2015 at 12:14pm

Parent: Whenever I have thought about digestion, I only think about stomach acid. I associate the breakdown and release of nutrients with simply acid. It was interesting to learn that there are a lot more digestive enzymes involved in this process and that there are some bacteria within our digestive system that release vitamins that we would otherwise miss out on. My wife was very ill with ecoli at one point so it is a new perspective to learn that many bacteria help our bodies as well.

Student: It was helpful and interesting to talk to my dad about this ETD because he is very inquisitive. We spent most of our time talking about the digestive system as a whole rather than about specific enzymes which helped me process the big picture. It was interesting to talk to my dad about the bacteria in our stomach because this is still a new / different concept for my family.

Madison Neyers
April 10, 2015 at 8:08pm

Parent: It was interesting to learn the digestive enzymes and their functions, the digestive system is very complex. Madison explained how the enzymes were mostly produced in the pancreas and used in the small intestine which I thought was a good connection. Madison also talked about how the part of the pizza was involved for each digestive enzyme which helped relate it to someone who isn't taking biology. 

Madison: Thinking of the pancreas as scrambled eggs really helped me to remember its form as well as its function. Since the pancreas produces most of the digestive enzymes I think of it like ovaries producing eggs which helped me to connect the pancreas function. I also connected the digestive enzyme pepsin with Pepto Bismo that you take when your stomach hurts. This makes sense now that I know pepsin is produced and used in the stomach. 

Calista Moore
May 01, 2016 at 3:43pm

Student: I focused on explaining the parts of words to make it easier to understand each enzyme. I explained that -ase means it's an enzyme and how pep suggests that the enzyme aids in the breakdown of proteins since proteins are polypeptides like how lipase would break down lipids and nuclease would break down nucleic acids. I emphasized that many enzymes are produced in the pancreas and used in the small intestine where a lot of digestion occurs. I tried to come up with extra examples of what each enzyme would break down in addition to each part of the pizza and explained why each enzyme was necessary since there are so many.

Parent: I learned what the pancreas actually does for the body and the important part it is in the digestive process, as I never knew what it's function was prior to the lesson.  The example of the pizza and how different parts were processed differently was also very interesting.