Back to Thread Listing

ETD 67 A. Explain the role of Hemogobin, H2CO3, and H+ in gas exchange
April 23, 2013 at 10:39am

Replies

Displaying 1-3 of 3 results.
Sort by:

Adilah M
June 04, 2013 at 8:54pm

Adilah taught me about H+, H2CO3 and hemoglobin in the process of gas exchange. She told be that H2CO3 is also known as carbonic acid. She drew a very detailed diagram to help guide me through the process. I thought it was very interesting and well thought-out. I didn't know anything about this process before she told me about it. ------------------------------------------ I taught my mom about the role of hemoglobin, H2CO3 and H+ in gas exchange. she though it was very interesting. I drew a picture/diagram similar to the in class to explain the process. She didn't know anything about this process before I told her about it. By explaining this process to her, I got a deeper understanding of it myself and was able to remember it more easily.

Madison Boggan
April 20, 2015 at 5:02pm

Parent: Madison taught me about different roles that are played in gas exchange. It was particularly interesting learning about hemoglobin as that is a familiar term but I never knew what it did specifically. I now know that hemoglobin can carry both oxygen and carbon dioxide. Hemoglobin is a part of red blood cells. Oxygen is attracted to hemoglobin. Madison also told me that pH is what causes the hemoglobin to change to carry certain things when needed. 

Student: While teaching my dad about gas exchange, I used an analogy that I knew would connect well with him. I told my dad that hemoglobin is similar to the B bus. The B bus is the shuttle that I have grown up taking with my dad from the parking lot that we park our car in when we travel to the airport. The B bus is like hemoglobin because different kinds of people can get on the bus and the bus can accommodate these people similar to hemoglobin changing to fit the needs of H+, CO2 and O2. Also, the B bus drives both to the airport and back just like hemoglobin flows from the lungs to the heart through the systemic system and back. 

Talesh Patel
May 05, 2015 at 9:28pm

Parent: Talesh explained that Hemoglobin carries white cells, oxygen and other nutrients thru the body.  H2CO3 and h+ions  are created in the blood when glucose is broken down in turn creating CO2 gas and H+ ions.  The Hemoglobin cells pick up the CO2 gasses and take them to the lungs to be expressed out of the body. When the H+ concentration is too high in the muscles, it leaves the muscles and returns to the blood stream by the way of Hemoglobin.  Then it cycles thru the body breaking down into water and CO2.

Student: I explained to my mom that hemoglobin is the protein in RBC's that carries O2 to the body and CO2 back to the lungs. H2CO3 (Carbonic Acid) is formed in the blood during heavy respiration, typically exercise, where CO2 gas and H+ ions are formed from the breakdown of glucose. This causes the pH of the blood to drop. When bicarbonate (HCO3) and an H+ ion combine, they create H2CO3. This then turns into H2O and CO2. In gas exchange, H+ ions are brought in and out of the muscle cells to maintain the proper pH.