Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 7: A. Name and Draw the 7 Functional Groups, Explain their functions, and give an example of each. + B. What they such "FUNc" tional groups?
September 30, 2013 at 3:36pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 15 results.
Sort by:

Calista Moore
November 03, 2015 at 8:04pm

Student:

I explained the 7 functional groups by connecting the parts in its name to the atoms involved and explaining why they're important and why their charges explain why they're found in lipids/sugars/etc. I connected it to the previous ETD and explained why certain atoms can have up to a certain number of bonds using valence electrons. It helped me understand why the functional groups are a part of certain molecules because it made me think about the structure and the role that the charges have in chemical reactions.

Parent:

Calista built upon the last ETD and explained the 7 functional groups in detail. The most interesting part to me was relating each functional group to an example, such as DNA, sugar, hormones,  proteins,etc.  She summarized by explaining that charges are what drive chemical reactions, which leads to new things being made (life!).  

Lauren Masters
November 25, 2015 at 12:49pm

Parent: Lauren went over the 7 functional groups and related them back to ETD #6. These groups are complicated but the examples of the bonds helped to show why they are "fun"ctional.

Student: I explained the 7 functional groups. She really liked when I gave an example for the groups so she could relate it to real life. It was tricky to explain this to someone who hasn't taken biology in 30 years.

Kate Freeman
January 13, 2016 at 10:31pm

Parent: Today I learned about the 7 functional groups: Hydroxyl, Carbonyl, Carboxyl, Sulfahydryl, Phosphate, Amino, and Methyl. Kate provided helpful examples for each group such as sugars and alcohol are found within the Hydroxyl group and vinegar is apart of the Carboxyl group. I also found that the acronym Hey CC SPAM was a very helpful tool for remembering all of the different groups. Kate did a good job drawing out the makeup of the groups and explaining their functions in a way that was easy to understand.

Student: I went over the 7 functional groups by providing an example for each and explaining each one's function. I also related the idea that the atoms used in these groups are present in each group's name in order to help my dad remember each. I also used the acronym Hey CC SPAM for further aid understanding. I found it interesting that going over each acronym and memory hints with my dad actually helped me better remember the functional groups. I also discussed the idea that these groups drive chemical reactions which leads to interactions and reactivity.

Brody Magbaleta
November 05, 2017 at 8:29pm

Parent: HeyCCSPAM w/o the ey. I do like Spam, but this wasn't one of the easier acronyms to remember the seven (7) functional groups. They are Hydroxyl, Carbonal, Carboxyl, Sulfahydryl, Phosphate, Amino, and Methol. These molecules are either positive, negative or neutral in polarity.What stood out for me was that each of these functions have a job and work together (intermolecular forces)

Student: I taught my dad the name of the 7 functional groups, examples of each, and their function. I explained to him that the functional groups react, repel, and attract to each other which is what is called intermolecular forces. Going over the acronym and trying to make my dad guess the functions of these helped me make connections between the functional groups and their functions. 

Jacob Michaels
November 20, 2017 at 6:02pm

Parent- The seven functional groups are: hyrdoxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, sulfahydryl, phosphate, amino, and methyl.  An example of each is: alcohol, ketones or aldehydes, carboxylic acid, cysteine, phospholipids, amino acids, and sex hormones.  There is an acronym to help with this, HEY CC SPAM.

Student- Since these groups are all completely new to me, it was very beneficial to go over each one. I explained each one to my dad, showed him the drawing, gave an example of each one and told him their respective functions. Adding alongside C BIG MRS GRENDE and SS WEBBEG I now have HEY CC SPAM all of these are helpful. I shouldn't have too difficult a time remembering the seven functional groups.

Joey Ribera
January 16, 2018 at 5:06pm

Parent: I learned the acronym HEY CC SPAM. This stands for hydroxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, sulfahydryl, phosphate, amino, and methyl. Each functional group has its own function like amino which is a proton acceptor (H+ acceptor). Joey explained why they were so FUNctional because it's where the chemical reactions occur. The molecular shape and charges equate to the groups function.

Student: I taught my parents about the functional groups. Each one has a certain structure and charges that equate to its function. Also, the attractions and reactions equal the intermolecular forms (IMF). It was nice reviewing these groups because its been a while since I've had to use them. Going over the actual structure helped me make connections to better remember these in the future.

Hitesh Boinpally
January 21, 2018 at 10:10pm

Parent: Hitesh drew and explained seven functional groups. They are Hydroxyl, Carbonyl, Carboxyl, Sulfahydryl, Phosphate, Amino, and Methyl. Examples for each of these in order Alcohol+sugar, sugars, carbylic acid, cysteine, phospholipids, amino acids, and testosterone.They are such functional groups because they do a variety of things and build larger molecules, allowing the "fun" to happen.

Student: I was able to clarify the functions of the various functional groups by going through what they all do with my dad and explaining how they were made. It also helped clarify that they all have a variety of charges, often times affecting what they do and what types of molecules they interact with. Furthermore, I was able to explain the acronym, "Hey CC SPAM" which also allowed me to better remember the acronym myself. Reviewing why they are considered functional groups also helped remind me of the idea form equals function and how each of these groups are shaped differently and made up of different elements, therefore having different functions as well.

Nicole Stan
January 15, 2019 at 3:55pm

Parent: I learned about the 7 functional groups there are and some examples and functions of them. The 7 groups are hydroxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, sulfhydryl, phosphate, amino, and methyl. She said an example of hydroxyl was alcohol, an example of carbonyl is sugars, an example of amino is amino acids and an example of methyl are sex hormones like testosterone and estrogen. She said these are considered functional groups because they all contain hydrogen bonds.

Student: I taught my dad about the functional groups which are hydroxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, sulfhydryl, phosphate, amino, and methyl and told him some examples of each one and their functions and charges. I explained that charges are very important and decide the functions of each group or molecule. I also told him they are functional groups because they all contain hydrogen bonds. This helped me review each of them and tighten my understanding.

Sarah Kropelnicki
January 21, 2019 at 5:50pm

Parent: Sarah explained the functions and gave me examples of 7 functional groups. The acronym Hey CC SPAM helps her to remember them all. They go as follows: Hydroxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, sulfahydryl, phosphate, amino, and methyl. They are called functional groups because each unique and specific structure is specific to their function. If you change the structure, then you change the function. 

Student: I showed my mom structural drawings and explained the functions of each functional group, giving examples of each. An example of a hydroxyl is alcohols and sugars. An example of a carbonyl is sugars such as ketones and aldelides. An example of a carboxyl is carboxylic acids which are amino acids. Sulfahydryls are things like cysteine, which is responsible for bad hair days. Phosphates are ATPs, DNA, and phospholipids. Aminos are amino acids, and methyl makes up sex hormones like testosterone and estrogen. 

Saanvi Mehrtora
January 28, 2019 at 6:21pm

Parent:

Saanvi taught me about functional groups. She used the acronym HEY CC SPAM to explain them to me. The 7 functional groups are Hydroxyl, Carbonyl, Carboxyl, Sulfhydral, Phosphate, Amino and Methyl. Saanvi showed us the drawing for each one of them and gave an example of each. Saanvi explained that they are FUNctional because they are important for chemical attraction/reactions and interactions between molecules. 

Student: 

I taught my parents about the 7 functional groups by using the acronym, HEY CC SPAM. I told them that ydroxyl, Carbonyl, Carboxyl, Sulfhydral, Phosphate, Amino and Methyl are all FUNtional because they play a big part in chemical attraction/reaction in life. I also gave an example of each functional group as well as some key components. 

Hydroxyl -> EX.Alchohal+Sugars; Polar

Carbonyl -> EX.Sugars such as ketone; Hydrophilic

Carboxyl -> EX.Carboxylic Acid; Acid (proton donor)

Sulfhydral -> EX.Cysteine; Polar

Phosphate -> EX.DNA+ATP; Used for energy

Amino -> EX.Amino Acids; Base (proton acceptor)

Methyl -> EX.Sex Hormones; non polar and Control Gene Expression