Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD 8: A. Draw + Explain how polymers Form + Break(THink Choo-Choo Trains). + B. What are the 4 main types of Macro Organic Molecules?
September 30, 2013 at 3:38pm

Replies

Displaying 1-10 of 16 results.
Sort by:

Lauren Masters
November 25, 2015 at 1:03pm

Parent: I learned that monomers are a small piece of a bigger molecule. Many monomers put together become a polymer. Hydrolysis will break down polymers while dehydration synthesis does the opposite. Dehydration synthesis requires enzymes to work.

Student: I explained monomers and polymers by using the example of a train like in class. I showed how hydrolysis works by explaining what happened when a squirt gun was shot at the kids forming a train. The train broke down.

Kate Freeman
January 13, 2016 at 10:47pm

Parent: I found the build up and break down of polymers very interesting. I learned that polymers are broken through Hydrolysis (addition of water) and broken down by Dehydration Synthesis (water taken away). I was also taught that the 4 macromolecules are lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids. Kate explained how we gain energy from consuming food by breaking the bonds.

Student: I taught my dad that Polymers are formed through Dehydration Synthesis and broken apart through the process of Hydrolysis. I explained that when water is added in Hydrolysis, the polymer is broken up into two monomers whereas in Dehydration Synthesis water is removed from the monomers to form the polymer. I also discussed the 4 main types of organic macromolecules: lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, and Nucleic acids. This review helped me to remember the opposite processes of Hydrolysis and Dehydration Synthesis and how polymers can be broken and built.

Makaila Heifner
January 15, 2016 at 10:40am

Parent: I thought these concepts were interesting. I wouldn't have thought by using water alone it could break molecules apart. Makaila and I also discussed macromolecules and I asked her how they related back to food and we discussed that for a little while. 

Student: Polymers form through dehydration and break through hydrolysis (hydro=water, lysis=cut). Water is added in hydrolysis to break the polymers apart whereas water is taken out to add the polymers together. The four main types of macromolecules are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. 

Adam Wulfing
January 19, 2016 at 5:49pm

Parent:  Adds H2O and then breaks apart via dehydration synthesis.  4 types:  Lipids, Proteins, Carbs, and Nucleic Acids.  Lipids are hydrophobic, proteins built by ribosomes, 

Student:  Its good to look at these concepts especially after learning about the cell where a majority of the molecules that make these organelles are these four functional groups.

Christal Gutierrez
October 29, 2016 at 9:42pm

Parent:Christal explained to me what polymers and organic macro molecules ( lipids, carbohydrates, protein, nucleic acid) do to our body.  She also explained what polymers consists of,  and what are the functions of the macro molecules to our body.  Also, how dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis work.  Moreover, she explained what DNA and RNA used nucleic acid to function.

Student: I thought my aunt to how polymers are form by dehydration synthesis in which you pull out water to make monomer turn to polymers and how hydrolysis break apart the polymers by adding water in it. I used the analogy of legos in which each lego piece is the monomer and when putting them together is called polymer. I told her that about the 4 major types of macro molecules that lipids help plasma membrane to be intact using cholesterol, carbohydrates that converts into energy, proteins to break down stuff in our body and nucleic acid works for Dna and Rna.

Jaden Rayl
December 29, 2016 at 5:09pm

Parent: I learned about the differences between polymers and monomers, and the 4 major types of organic macro molecules and their major functions for organisms. I then learned about hydrolysis and dehydration synthesis and how they are important in the formation and breakdown of polymers/monomers. 

Student: I talked about polymers and monomers and the differences between them (mono being single and poly being many) I also went on a little tangent about suffixes and how they help to learn the words of science. I then went into the macro molecules (lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids) and the major functions they serve. Lipids are for long term energy storage. Carbohydrates are for short term energy storage. Proteins contain nucleic acids which are important to development. Nucleic Acids are used by DNA and RNA. I then talked about how hydrolysis (with an emphasis on the suffixes) is a water cut of the polymer into a monomer, and how dehydration synthesis is taking out water to form a polymer. 

Katarina Zosel
October 05, 2017 at 9:27pm

Parent: Monomers are the individual building blocks, for example, in proteins, the individual amino acids, or in carbohydrates, a monomer would be glucose. Polymers are many monomers bonded together, for example, cellulose, not to be confused with cellulite... I don't think she was saying anything to me there. Polymers form through dehydration synthesis where a water molecule is taken out of two monomers to form a bond, for example, back to carbohydrate, when two glucose bond together after dehydration synthesis, a glycocidic linkage is formed with the leftover oxygen. The opposite of dehydration synthesis hydrolysis(water cut) is when bonds are broken from the re-insurgence of H2O. Sometimes when bonds are broken, I feel sad, just kidding, I don't. BUT I am learning some interesting things! Next, we are learning about Trader Joes.. just kidding, Macro Organic Molecules are carbohydrates which are used for energy. Lipids are used for long-term energy storage and cell walls. Proteins are the machine, and they do everything. Nucleic Acids are DNA and RNA and they store and transmit information- basically the secrets of life. 

Student: I explained the 4 macromolecules by talking about their functions in the body. Using proteins and amino acid chains as well as glucose chains I taught about monomers and polymers. Then to explain hydrolysis and dehydration synthesis I drew it out on a white board and told her the train and water gun analogy 

Jacob Michaels
November 22, 2017 at 11:55am

Parent- Polymers are made of monomers.  Monomers are single units that synthesize to become a polymer.  Mono equals one, poly equals multiple.  Polymers can also be broken down by a process called hydrolysis.  This is when water gets in between the monomers and rips them apart. Hydro equals water, lysis equals cut.  The four main types of organic macromolecules are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids.

Student- I taught my dad how polymers are made by monomers coming together with each monomer being like a part of a choo-choo train and how they are broken by being ripped apart by water, a process called hydrolysis, when you shoot water at the choo-choo train. I then went over the four macromolecules, which are: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids. The train analogy is incredibly helpful and going over the four macromolecules will help me remember them.

Brody Magbaleta
January 03, 2018 at 10:56pm

Parent - Today I learned about monomers and polymers. My initial understanding about polymer had to do with hard plastic type of material, learned much more. Monomers are the foundation or building blocks for polymers. There are four (4) types of macro molecules: carbohydrates, lipids proteins and nucleic acids. These are made up of strings of polymers like a train and can be broken down by hydrolysis or "water cutting" as water is polar. Polymers can be formed by dehydration synthesis.

Student- I taught my dad how monomers are considered to be the building blocks of longer chains of multiple monomers called polymers. To help remember how polymers are broken and formed, it was nice to have the train analogy and how when you shot the water gun at the "train", the train broke down representing hydrolysis and when water is taken away between two monomers, it forms a polymer. Also, I explained the four macromolecules. 

Joey Ribera
January 16, 2018 at 5:16pm

Parent: Joey taught me that a polymer is like a train and a monomer is like a the railroad cars. Polymers break through hydrolysis, which is when water breaks the polymer. Dehydration adds two polymers together because it makes a bond to connect the two. The four main types of organic macromolecules are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. 

Student: WHen teaching my parents, I used the example given to us in class: a train. A train symbolizes a polymer and a railroad car represents a monomer. Hydrolysis, the action of adding water, rips apart the train while dehydration, or taking out the H20 makes bonds. In class, the comparison to a train allowed me to better understand this concept of polymers and monomers. Polymers play a significant roles in everyday life and build up macromolecules. The four main organic macromolecules are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids.