Back to Thread Listing

ETD 84: A. What does Ecology Mean?
June 07, 2013 at 9:06am

Replies

Displaying 1-5 of 5 results.
Sort by:

Elizabeth O., Period 1
June 10, 2013 at 1:08am

Elizabeth taught me that Ecology is the scientific study of the relationships between various organisms and between the environment in which they reside. I learned that “eco” means house. She explained that the Earth is our “house”. It is important to see the Earth as our house. Having that mindset is necessary in order to treat our “house” with respect and care. She further explained that while nature has no need of us, we need nature if we desire to continue our existence on planet Earth. ------------------------ I explained to my dad that Ecology is the study of organisms, their relationships with one another, as well as their relationship with their surrounding environment. One thing that was greatly emphasized in class is that Earth is our home. If we want people to start treating our Earth in a better way (a cleaner and greener way), then we need to adopt this mentality. In teaching my dad about the topic of ecology, it served as a further reminder that if you look at Earth’s past history, the Earth doesn’t need us; nature can take care of itself.

Adilah M
June 10, 2013 at 11:07pm

Adilah told me about what ecology means. She told me that it was about the study of our home(earth). We also discussed about why it is important to take care of our earth. I thought this was a very interesting and relevant topic. ---------- I taught my mom about what ecology was and also who it is important to take care of the planet. We discussed some of the eco-issues. Something new that i learned was that we would need numerous earths to support the us if we keep living the same lifestyle.

Madison Boggan
June 02, 2015 at 7:06pm

Parent: Ecology is the study of home. This includes oxygen, water and all other things essential to life as humans. Maddie and I talked about why studying and knowing about our home is important and how no other planet can sustain us. 

Student: We talked about the cheesy quote "Home Is Where The Heart Is" and how Earth is our home but we don't treat it like our heart is there because we don't care for it very much. We talked about how we need to because we don't get a second chance at having a home. 

Calista Moore
June 03, 2016 at 5:25pm

Parent:

Calista explained the connection between living and nonliving things, humans and animals.  It was very interesting to consider the vast number of connections, and how much of an impact that we can make without realizing consequences.  

Student:

I tried to emphasize how ecology has so many factors and one organism or nonliving factor can have a vast amount of impact on its environment and others, which leads to changes in other organisms and factors and how everything is connected. I broke down the word ecology to try to explain how humans have an impact on the world.

Makaila Heifner
June 06, 2016 at 3:36pm

Parent: Makaila told me that ecology is the "study of home." This boils down to the study of the Earth and things that are essential to life. We talked about what happens if we don't take care of the Earth and why it's important to study ecology. 

Student: My stepdad and I went over what ecology dealt with and why we study it. I explained the importance of ecology and why more people should study it, because then hopefully more people will make changes and ultimately help the environment.