Discussion

Back to Thread Listing

ETD58HSPE: A. Why does the Bat flower we discussed in class have such strange morphology?
March 12, 2013 at 11:27am

Replies

Displaying 1-3 of 3 results.
Sort by:

Courtney S.
March 26, 2013 at 6:51pm

I find it interesting that a plant that would not normally survive because of the way it has evolved has found a niche with a creature that needs it just as much. I find it disturbing that if one is taken out of the chain they are both in trouble of extinction. ------ My dad has always been very interested in evolution so this was fairly easy to explain. The main problem I ran into with this one was my drawing skills, I had to really explain what the plant looked like because I could not just show him. It helped me with remembering how structure has such a huge roll in life on earth and how one change can throw off an ecosystem.

Shane N.
March 27, 2013 at 8:43pm

Shane explained to me what mutualism and co-evolution mean. He used the example of the Bat flower and Bat to provide this expanation. The Bat flower has developed concave leaves that reflect the echo sounds of the bat to help the bat locate the plant's flower. The Bat pollinates the flower and in turn gets nectar from the flower. I explained to my father that the Bat Flower uses its unique concave upper leaves to reflect sounds back outwar, specifically for the location methods of bats. I also explained to him how the bat and th eflower benefit from the bat eating the nectar and then transporting the pollen of the flower to another flower of the same species(mutualism & CoEvolution.

Adilah M.
May 12, 2013 at 6:33pm

Adilah taught me about the bat flower and why it is called that. She told me about how its specific structure helps improve its chance of survival. I found it interesting how it was able to develop a niche this way. ------------------------------------- I told my mom about the bat flower and it's unusual morphology. Discussing this with my mother helped me better understand how the bat flower's morphology allows it to improve its fitness and develop a symbiotic relationship with other organisms.